Saturday, February 21, 2009

Goodnight, Sweet Carrot-Topped Prince

Last night marked the end of an era – the last Late Night with Conan O’Brien. Oh, sure, soon enough you’ll be able to catch Conebone in Jay Leno’s old spot, but you’re fooling yourself if you think it’s going to be anything like the old Conan we knew and loved.

I admit, I have strayed. I recently shifted my fealty from Conan to Craig Ferguson. But I spent most of my high school years watching Conan, Andy, the PimpBot, Masturbating Bear, and the rest of the Late Night crew. I even remember playing hooky from school to catch tapings a few times. And while I found the show a little toothless in recent years – to be honest, it was never the same for me after Andy Richter left – I’m still sad that the era is over.

So how was the last show anyway? Pretty good, as it turns out. Andy dropped by, and Conan made some sappy speeches but also kept the funny going with a hilarious bit on people who play 1800s-style baseball. It was a great send-off for a scrappy little show. And now, you can watch Jimmy Fallon in Conan’s old spot. Or, you know, just watch Craig Ferguson dammit.

No comments: